Saturday, April 7, 2012

April Date - Garage Sale Scavenger Hunt

Woo-hoo!!!  I have been so excited to share this date with you guys because I think it's such a great idea.  I don't know why I've never done it before!

This is April's date for the Dates for a Year Basket!  The past couple of months have been at home dates.  In January, they learned to make fortune cookies in their kitchen, in February, they had an at-home spa night, and last month was an at-home game night.  I'm all about finding fun at home, especially if you're on a tight budget!  But I thought for April, it was time to get them out of the house! Especially now that it's finally Spring and the weather is just begging you to spend some quality time with it!  So, if they're going to be enjoying the weather, I knew I had to plan a weekend date for optimal time in the sunshine.  That narrowed it down to a weekend morning/day, and do you know what happens then?  GARAGE SALES!!  That may not sound exciting to you...until you realize that it's a Garage Sale SCAVENGER HUNT!

I definitely can't take credit for this idea.  The ladies at Dating Divas have it going on.  I found this date there, and used the templates to personalize some cards for Kim and Larry.


Here's what was included in the April envelope:
  • Date Card
  • Scavenger Hunt List
  • Bonus Items List


Here is the date card that was included in the envelope:


When I downloaded the template, it was a blank PDF, so I copied and pasted the image into a Word document.  Then I made it smaller (I made it a landscape page format and shrunk the image to fit on half the page) and added my own items.  I used some of her ideas but came up with my own, too.  Here's what the finished product looked like:

After I printed this card I thought, "This isn't enough!"  So I made a bonus card.  That's why I made these items each worth 5 points each, so that I could make bonus items worth double that!  Bonus items are things that are left for interpretation, probably impossible to find, but a saving grace if you're not good at finding the other stuff.  


The plan for this date is for Kim & Larry to find a list of local yard sales (in a copy of the local paper or even more simply, through a search on Craigslist), grab some breakfast and/or coffee and head out the door.  I like that this is something they can do together but kind of have to sneak around on their own, too.  If they both peruse through yard sales side-by-side, it would be hard to have a winner because they'd find stuff at the same time.  Just like last month, this adds a bit of competitiveness to the date, which makes it fun and exciting.  Actually, I thought that it would be easy for them to use the same "prize" from last month's game night and just recycle.  

This date was basically free for me to put together, if you don't count the paper and time it took to create.  You could definitely make it a little more exciting by including a gift card for them to swing through Starbucks or McDonald's before starting.  You could also include some cash for them to purchase some things while they're looking.  Maybe even add the task for them to search for a perfect "couples trophy" that they could pass back and forth for these competitive dates.  Think about how fun it would be to find something unique...like a glass pineapple or something...that can be the sought after "prize" for bets and games.  It could even become something of a family tradition that's passed down when they have kids.  

Sounds like a fun weekend activity, doesn't it?  This is one of my favorites out of the dates included in the basket (not my favorite...that one is still to come), but yet it was one of the easiest ones to plan.  This is date 10 of 13, we're getting down to the last few now.  Stay tuned...they're worth waiting for!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea! Beau and I may have to do this when we get back stateside. He hates garage sales but a little friendly competition may entice him to join me :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...