Monday, January 2, 2012

Life Box: Resolution Card

A few short days ago, I posted a tutorial to make a fun project to start for the new year called the Life Box.  I have been extremely overwhelmed and humbled by the fast and steady number of views that sprouted from that simple post.  I'm thrilled to see so many people are intrigued because I'm on day two of my box, and am still so excited about it!  I can already see how some days it will be challenging.  I've had a bit of a cold this weekend, so my days have been kind of boring and "uneventful".  But it's amazing what a little box and commitment of one line on an index card will point out in an uneventful day.

For me, Jan. 1 said "Traditional New Years dinner with the fam!"...something so simple and repetitive to me.  After thinking about it though, it's important to get that down.  Who knows what New Years Day will hold for me next year, let alone 5 years down the road?  It may look completely different, and it may be the same.  Actually, I think the repetitiveness of tradition is something that would be beautiful to see on a card year after year.  Jan. 2 seemed like it would be tough.  My day consisted of sleeping in, staying in my PJs until 2:00, watching TV, cleaning the fridge, grocery shopping...all boring stuff.  However, when I HAD to think of something to put on my card, reflecting on my day made me appreciate it more and draw more importance and meaning than "just another day".  Today, my card said, "Trashed the junk food, stocked up on healthy!"  Something so simple as cleaning out the refrigerator and pantry, tossing all the leftover Christmas goodies and then refilling the space with healthy options IS a big deal.  It could be the start of something incredible.  It definitely is a step towards my commitment to one of my resolutions.  Which brings me to today's post...the Resolution Card.

When I made my Life Box, I added a card that I hadn't seen in others' tutorials before.  A simple card with the year stamped at the top and left blank.


I decided to include this card to record my resolutions/goals for the upcoming year.  It's a good reminder so that I don't just forget about them after a month, and can kind of check in on my progress throughout the year.

I've heard before that until you share your goals with someone else, they're not real to you.  Sure, you have dreams of succeeding in this or that, but until you tell someone else you're going to do it, it's not something you really plan for.  If someone else knows about it, most people will do everything they can to achieve it to avoid embarrassment or disappointment of letting themselves (and/or others) down with failure.  Now I'm really putting myself out there telling you all of that!  I decided to share my resolutions for a few reasons.  One, for self documentation.  It's forever on my blog and shared with the world wide web, so I know where to find it if something should happen to my card.  Two, for the exact reason I just told you...to make them REAL to me, and something I'll try to achieve to prove to all of you that I can!  And finally, to share parts of me so that maybe some of you know that I've got the same goals as you this year.  Possibly to give you some ideas for your own!

So, here they are:  (If you don't care to know...you can skip the rest of this post and come back next time!)


I went with an even 10 resolutions this year.  Some big ones mixed in with some small.  Some that are repeats from years before, some new.  I wanted a good number so that I have several things to try to achieve this year and so that I don't feel like a complete failure when I don't do them all.  Surely, I can at least get a couple of these crossed off!

  • Be a "yes" girl - I mean this in a very specific way.  I've always been a yes girl in the sense that I will agree to do anything for anyone any time.  But I'm not a yes girl when it comes to doing things for me.  I have a lot of excuses, things that come up, ways to back out.  Honestly, I think I have a bit of commitment fear for some reason, and that's something I want to work on this year.  So when I say be a yes girl, I want to go all in when I say yes to something.  I want to say yes to more.  
  • Get healthy & stay active - Isn't this everyone's resolution...every year?  But if you're going to have a repetitive resolution, this would be the one.  For me, it's time to get back to being in shape and feeling good about myself.  This is the first time I'm doing it without a size or number in mind.  I just want to be healthy, active, and feel good about myself.
  • Start an etsy shop - I've had several people suggest this, and asked why I don't have one already. I always had an excuse, no real reason.  It's time to commit, going back to my first resolution.  It's something so simple that I think would bring me a lot of joy...and give me a great reason to craft more!
  • Read at least one book a month - for fun! - I read for community group, and right now I have to read for work.  I love to read for fun and need to make it a habit.  I have a pile of about 20 books waiting on me, I just need to get started!
  • Visit a new state - One of the major things on my life list is to visit every one of the 50 states.  For me, it doesn't count unless I spend more than 24 hours in that state.  So far, my list consists of: Alabama, California, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia.  That's 13...why not add to my number this year?  
  • Be intentional with strengthening friendships - old and new - I'll be honest.  I'm horrible about keeping in touch with people.  Life gets busy, and phone conversations and e-mails seem to get squeezed out of my schedule.  This year, I want to aim to be better about making those things priorities.  My friends are too great and awesome to lose touch with...old friends from high school and college as well as my newer ones.
  • Replace my wardrobe! - Maybe it's not realistic to do it completely, but I definitely need an update.  After college I taught elementary school, so style was not at the top of my list.  But now that I'm in adult world, I need to catch up and try to at least look the part.  :o)
  • Smile at strangers - So simple, but something that will be a challenge for me.  I'm outgoing and bubbly once I get to know you, but I am incredibly shy with strangers.  Eye contact and a smile is a struggle, but you never know what can stem from that.  If anything, I hope this new goal/habit will help me get over being so shy around new people.  
  • Save for/purchase a DSLR camera - I've wanted one for a long while, but never made it important enough to budget for.  My parents got me a photography class for Christmas (there's no way I can afford one before then), and it's a passion I want to pursue.  Who knows where it will lead, but I definitely want to learn more about the craft of photography and see what I can do with it.  I wrote save for SLASH purchase because the ability to purchase one sort of depends on my job situation and if that's something I'll be able to afford before the year is over.  
  • Strive to be a Proverbs 31 woman - This is another one that is a repeat for me.  I am constantly trying to be a Godly woman, but in my human-ness fall short daily.  There is no such thing as earthly perfection, but I hope to keep this verse in my heart as I walk with Him this year.  
So, there you have it, friends!  This may have been something I posted just for me, but that's okay!  I hope to be able to tell you that I accomplished at least a couple of these this time next year when I'm giving my new list for 2013!  And if you want to donate to my camera fund or have a place for me to stay in a state I haven't been, let me know!  ;o)

Promise to post again soon with another date and more craft ideas!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE all of these stacey!!! I also love that I share in 5 of those resolutions with you!!!
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you've never been to North Carolina?! :) I have a very comfy couch and I sleep in a double bed, so just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...